National PTA Reflections welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Annually, thousands of students will reflect on a common theme and create original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts. The 2018/2019 theme is "Heroes Around Me."
Denton Community Council of PTAs invites you to participate in our 2018/2019 Reflections program! For questions, please contact our VP of Arts in Education at email@example.com
Council Entry Deadline: Tuesday, November 27, 2018. Entries must be turned in at the Denton ISD Main Office by 4:00 p.m. If alternate drop off arrangements need to be made, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
District Awards ceremony: TBA - Most likely in Spring
Local PTA Eligibility: Any Local PTA/PTSA that attains Active Status no later than October 31, is eligible to sponsor Reflections on their campus.
Student Eligibility: The Reflections program is open to all Texas students who meet the necessary requirements.
Resources for Local Leaders:
Submitting Your Entries for Local Leaders:
Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement. What does the theme mean to you?
Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Follow your school's PTA deadlines and instructions on how to enter. For inspiration visit the national award-winning Reflections Art Gallery.
In your artist statement, tell us about your work and what it means to you.
Submitting Your Entry For Artists:
The artist summary is 50% of your score.
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g. supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)?
- What/Who was your inspiration?
National PTA is looking for a 2020/2021 National PTA Reflections Theme. Deadline for the theme search is November 5th.
About Arts in Education:
The goal of PTA’s Arts in Education program is to be a resource for PTA leaders in partnering with schools to provide opportunities for all students to explore and be involved in the arts.
The arts—and the National PTA Reflections program —support student success and serve as a valuable tool for building strong partnerships in your school community. When PTAs and schools work together to support arts education, they:
- Encourage all students—despite individual challenges—to explore ideas, express their individuality and support their peers in a positive way;
- Provide all students with an academic advantage by increasing student engagement and teacher effectiveness, which leads to increased school attendance rates and social connectedness among students; and
- Enhance family engagement by connecting families and schools to one another and to their communities.
Schools and PTAs committed to quality learning in the arts can identify opportunities together for families to take an active role in support of arts education.