National PTA Reflections welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Annually, thousands of students will reflect on a common theme and create original works of art in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.The 2019 -2020 theme is "Look Within".
Denton Community Council of PTAs invites you to participate
in our 2019 -2020 Reflections program!
For questions, please contact us at email@example.com
Local PTA Eligibility
Any Local PTA/PTSA that attains Active Status no later than October 31, is eligible to sponsor Reflections on their campus.
Council Entry Advancement Deadline
4:00 PM, Monday, December 2, 2019 at the Denton ISD Main Office
District Awards Ceremony
Spring 2020 (exact date/time TBD)
resources for local Leaders
- Texas PTA Reflections for Local Leaders
- Local PTA Leader Checklist
- Judging Guidelines
- Texas PTA Reflections Promotional Materials
- National PTA Reflections Toolkit
- Google Drive - Local forms & resource document storage
student entry forms & Rules
The Reflections program is open to all Texas students who meet the necessary requirements. Students should download the Program Rules to ensure their art meets the requirements for each art category. Each entry must be accompanied by a completed Student Entry form.
|Student Program Rules||English | Spanish|
|Student Entry Form||English | Spanish|
In your artist statement, tell us about your work and what it means to you. How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on your artwork AND your artist statement is 50% of the score. Here are a few things to think about when creating your artist statement:
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g. supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)?
- What/Who was your inspiration?
Follow your school's PTA deadlines and instructions on how to enter. For inspiration visit the national award-winning Reflections Art Gallery.
National PTA seeks a theme for the 2021-2022 Reflections program year. The student who submits the winning entry will receive $100, and his or her theme will be presented at the 124th Annual National PTA Convention and Exhibition in June 2020.
Reflections Theme Search Entry Form - Deadline for theme submissions: November 5, 2019
When suggesting a theme, judges take into consideration:
- Theme is unique, inspiring and unlike past program themes.
- Theme is focused without being too narrow or too broad.
- Theme is clear, concise and appropriate for all grade levels.
- Theme is applicable to all arts categories.
- Theme promotes PTA values.
- Theme is relevant in 2 years.
- Past themes and duplicate entries are not considered
SUBMITTING ENTRIES TO COUNCIL FOR LOCAL LEADERS
about arts in education
The goal of PTA’s Arts in Education program is to be a resource for PTA leaders in partnering with schools to provide opportunities for all students to explore and be involved in the arts.
The arts—and the National PTA Reflections program —support student success and serve as a valuable tool for building strong partnerships in your school community. When PTAs and schools work together to support arts education, they:
- Encourage all students—despite individual challenges—to explore ideas, express their individuality and support their peers in a positive way;
- Provide all students with an academic advantage by increasing student engagement and teacher effectiveness, which leads to increased school attendance rates and social connectedness among students; and
- Enhance family engagement by connecting families and schools to one another and to their communities.
Schools and PTAs committed to quality learning in the arts can identify opportunities together for families to take an active role in support of arts education.