The parliamentarian advises the board of directors and members on matters of parliamentary procedure, and serves as a consultant, especially in a meeting, where only the chair has the authority to rule on questions of order or to answer parliamentary inquiries.
Contact Denton Community Council of PTA's Parliamentarian, Aimee Jones, at dccptas.parliamentar
- Work with outgoing parliamentarian to transfer any needed information or documents.
- Review the BASICS Parliamentarian Resource Guide for detailed support and guidance.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View Sample Plan of Work.
- Request a copy your PTA's bylaws and standing rules to share with the incoming board.
- Obtain a copy of and become familiar with the parliamentary authority, Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR).
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS Leader Orientation before October 15.
Duties at a Glance
- Maintains copies of current governing documents - bylaws, standing rules, policies and parliamentary authority.
- Provides guidance to members and board members on issues outlined in governing documents.
- Ensure your Local PTA meets all requirements of the Standards of Continuing Affiliation.
- Confer with president prior to the meeting regarding business items on the agenda.
- Advises the president on points of parliamentary procedure.
- Maintains a position of impartiality and does not make motions, enter debate or vote.
Share Your Success
One of the most valuable benefits of PTA is that our Leaders are part of a larger community who have the opportunity to network and share with one another. We know that PTAs across Texas are doing great things and we want to hear about each and every one of them! Submit your success story and be the Talk of Texas!
View the BASICS Parliamentarian webinar here.
Download the BASICS Parliamentarian Resource Guide
Hard copies available through the Texas PTA Store.
View and Download a list of Texas PTA Member Perks